Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fort Canning Park #3


So, I only split the Fort Canning stuff up because I guess Blogspot limits each post to five photos. So my apologies.... that means when I start doing more interesting things that require more than five photos, there will be more of these serial posts.


Fort Canning also contains the house of Sir Stamford Raffles of the East India Trading Company, the founder of modern Singapore. Unsurprisingly, Raffles' name is all over everything here. There's a hotel, a shopping center, and lots of other places. When I first arrived here, I saw the "Raffles Center" and assumed it was some sort of arcade or something. Makes sense, right? Ah well.


This cemetery was the populated by members of the Singapore governmental offices from the 1800's, some local, some foreign. I always enjoy cemeteries, so I lingered here a bit reading the headstones. And hey, I didn't even take any photos of toy robots on the graves! See? Respectful.


This was kinda interesting. There used to be a much larger cemetery on the Fort Canning grounds, but its occupants were relocated (I'm assuming to reclaim the open space). Many of the tombstones weren't relocated with the graves, but were instead built into this wall.

It's sort of like the opposite of Poltergeist. They moved the bodies, but not the headstones! Didn't ya! You only moved the bodies!!!

For the record, I don't think Fort Canning has poltergeists.

No comments:

Post a Comment