After the employment pass stuff, I wandered over to Clarke Quay, a restaurant/entertainment complex. It's right next to the Singapore River, which makes for some pleasant settings. However, it turns out that noon on a Saturday is NOT the time to be here. As best as I can tell from my short time here, Singapore does not seem like a country of early risers. Clarke Quay was dead, dead, dead: barely any restaurants open, and no more than a couple dozen people meandering around. Still, it was really nice out, and I enjoyed just leisurely walking around.

Look at this! Noon on a Saturday! Where the heck are all the people?
It was so deserted I didn't even feel weird taking pictures of Sideways. Here he is by the Singapore River.
So I guess I'm dumb, but I always thought "quay" was pronounced "kway." But everyone here pronounces this "kee." Like "Clarke Kee." I suppose maybe both are acceptable? I don't know. I haven't been around a lot of quays.
Ah, the beauty and exoticism of the Far East... the colorful riverboats festooned with cherry blossoms for Chinese New Ye-- wait, is that a Hooters?
There weren't many restaurants open to choose from, this chicken curry hit the spot for lunch.
Anyway, I think I'll come back to Clarke Quay in the evening sometime... maybe it'll be a bit more lively. Wait a second, why would I do that? I don't like people. Never mind.





No comments:
Post a Comment